The 17th & 18th Texas Cavalry were organized in East Texas in 1862 and sent to Arkansas. They were taken prisoner at Arkansas Post and held in an Illinois prison camp for three months. After being released they were consolidated with two other units commanded by Brig. Gen. Preston Smith, known as Smith's Brigade, in Cleburne's Division.
They suffered over 200 casualties at Chicamauga, including Smith, and came under the command of Hiram Granbury, being known as Granbury's Texas Brigade. They helped save the Army of Tennessee at Chatanooga. This flag was presented to them in November of 1863 and they were later allowed to keep flying it, out of respect, after most of the army had been switched to the familiar Battle Flag.
On July 22, 1864, during the Battle of Atlanta they were cut off by Gen. William T. Clark's 15th Michigan Regiment. A large number of men were captured and their flag was taken. It was eventually returned to Texas by Gen. Clark's widow in 1914.
While the original flag measured 31" X 37.5" this careful reproduction measures a standard 3ftx5ft