Organized at Cave City, KY in November of 1861, the 6th Kentucky Mounted Infantry became part of the Orphan Brigade. It fought at Shiloh, where it lost 108 men, later at Baton Rouge where another 18 were killed. It was active at Vicksburg (Written VICKSBURGH on the flag). It fought in Murfreesboro, TN at Stones River and at Chickamauga before joining in the Atlanta Campaign where they participated in the defense of Savannah.They went on to fight in the Carolinas. The 6th surrendered, along with the Army of Tennessee, on April 16th, 1865
The flag is battle flag pattern, with the St. Andrew's cross in blue on a red background. The units name and battle honors are listed as well as inverted crossed cannons. This special insignia let everyone know they had captured enemy artillery. The 6th KY had helped capture two cannons from an Illinois battery during Chickamauga, turning the weapons on the fleeing Federal soldiers.
The flag was captured by the 10th Michigan Infantry at the fighting at Jonesboro on Sept. 1, 1864. The 2nd Kentucky tore their flag to pieces at the same time rather than let it be captured. It was returned to Kentucky in 1905, and is in the possession of the Kentucky Military History Museum in Frankfort.
(Original flag at the Kentucky Historical
Society / Military History Museum)