The Perote Guards were organized in Perote, Alabama, in 1859. The companies uniforms and flags were hand made by the ladies of Perote. The flag is a pattern of 7 red, white and blue stripes with a canton of 12 stars and the motto Justice & Protection to each new partner or a new firm. PEROTE GUARDS. The flag was given to the company by Ms. Crossely on the steps of the Methodist Church in Sept. of 1860. The company was sent to Pensacola, FL where they became Co. D of the 1st Alabama Infantry.
In the summer of 1861 the company received a new regimental flag and their company flag was given to the quartermaster for safe keeping. When the 1st Alabama Infantry surrendered at Island No. 10 on April 7th of 1862 their original flag was captured from the company baggage by the 15th Wisconsin Infantry. It was returned to Alabama in 1905.