The Georgia state flag adopted in 1879 was reminiscent of the first flag of the Confederacy, only with blue taking up the entire left side rather than just the canton, and having no stars. This simple version was used until 1902 when an amendment to the state's militia laws required the state coat of arms be added to the blue. No known examples of the 1902 flag are known to have been made, however some rare examples have been found that include the coat of arms inside of a white shield with "Georgia" in a red ribbon beneath. The use of the State Seal on the flag began around 1910 and saw use on state documents. This design was used between then and 1956 when the chairman of the state Democrat party suggested a new flag directly incorporating the Confederate Battle Flag.