Seven stars, seven stripes, delivered to Company C of the 2nd Alabama Infantry on March 23rd, 1861 at the Claiborne, Alabama Masonic Hall by seven girls representing each of the seven seceding states. The Claiborne Guards were soon sent to Fort Morgan, AL and then to Fort Pillow, TN. Most of the men later became part of the 42nd Alabama Infantry.
The flag was lost until 1878 when a Major General from the US Calvary wrote that he had come into possession of it while traveling through Claiborne during the campaign against Mobile in April of 1865 and wanted to return it to any surviving members. It was sent to Mrs. Thomas A. Hamilton, who had originally given the flag to the company and it was placed in a Mobile, AL, Y.M.C.A. until 1941 when it was removed to the state Department of Archives and History.